Pages

Wednesday, February 13, 2013

What's Cooking Wednesday | Pancakes & Muffins

This week's What's Cooking Wednesday is brought to you by Steph at The Kat Almanac, in honor of her little boy A's first birthday week!  Be sure to pop over to her blog and give A some birthday love!  

When A eat lunch and dinner, he usually gets some sort of version of what we are having. But for breakfast he has two favorites: pancakes, muffins, and bananas. So in the morning he usually gets either pancakes or a muffin and a banana.

The pancake and muffin recipes are so versatile I wanted to share them here!

Anything pancakes

DSCF0643

Pancakes

1 cup quick cooking oatmeal or cream of buckwheat (you can also try Cream of Wheat. Haven’t done it myself but I’m sure it would translate well)
1 1/2 cup milk (I use almond milk)
1 tsp Cinnamon
1 c fruit or veggie puree (I’ve used banana and pumpkin with great success)
1 egg

Method

Make 1 c of your favorite oatmeal using either my instructions or those on the package. Add cinnamon. At the end of cooking, add in fruit or veggie puree. Let it cool about 10 minutes.
Take egg and whisk it in a seperate bowl. Add to mixture and mix well.

Grease a pan or waffle maker and use a 1/4 measuring cup to scoop out the mixture.
Cook on either side and serve it up!

I give A one per morning and this patch will make you plenty of pancakes. I freeze whatever else I’m not using!

Anything muffins

sweet-potato-muffins
(Image found here.)

Anything muffins (I found the basic recipe here but modified it below)

1 cup whole wheat flour
1/2 tsp baking soda
1 tsp baking powder
3/4 tsp cinnamon
1 cup fruit or veggie puree (I used sweet potato or butternut squash. If you want to go the savory route, you can also add lentils, quinoa, or cous cous!)
1/2 applesauce
1/4 milk (I used almond milk)
1 egg

Method

Preheat the oven to 375 deg F (180 deg C).

Mix the oats, whole wheat flour, baking soda, baking powder and spices together in a bowl.
Add your puree, applesauce, milk and egg and mix together until the ingredients are all completely moistened.

Grease muffin tins (I used mini tins) and bake about 10 minutes.

I set aside what A will eat for the week and freeze whatever I have left over!

Enjoy!
36848A3D175C749EE873DC66D928B55C
WCW3


No comments:

Post a Comment