Pages

Wednesday, January 23, 2013

What's Cooking Wednesday | Pretzel Chicken

This week's What's Cooking Wednesday is brought to you by Steph at The Kat Almanac.  Enjoy!

So I just joined Pinterest. Shocked? Yeah, so am I. I’m surprised I let it go this long. I remember about two years ago when it first came out and was making the rounds on all the design blogs I read. At that time, you had to wait for an invitation. I “applied”. I was “invited”. But I didn’t join. Why? Because you had to use your Facebook or Twitter as a log in and I wasn’t down with that.

But now all that’s changed b/c I can login with a simple email! And now I’m addicted. This is just one of the billion recipes I’ve pinned. I have to say, I really liked it!

Let me preface this recipe with saying, my pictures look HORRIBLE. I had to send my camera away for repair and I’m working with my old point and shoot. It was night. I was PMSing (ok I wasn’t but that’s always a good excuse right??). So please friends, do not hold the awful pictures against this tasty piece of chicken. It did nothing wrong.

So as always, b/c I can’t leave anything good and well alone, here is the recipe I referenced.

And here is how I did it.

Pretzel chicken.

4 chicken breasts cut up into tenders
2 cups pretzels
2 eggs
For the sauce
1 tsp mustard
1/2 c cheese
1 tsp sirracha (optional if you want it spicy)
Salt
Pepper
1 tbsp butter
1 tbsp flour
I c milk

So first blend up all your pretzels so that they form a nice mix of chunk and powder. Add in salt and pepper to taste.

DSCF0195

Then chunk your chicken. You could keep it as breasts but I like working with a tender like chicken.

DSCF0199

Then set up your coating station of egg dredge, pretzels and chicken. I like to put it right next to the stove in order so that it can go right in the pan. (The original recipe does a double coating of egg and pretzels but I eliminated the second step and only did one.) Take the chicken and dredge in egg and then pretzels then into a pan with a good coating of olive oil.

DSCF0203

Once you have a bit of a crispy sear on both sides of the chicken take it out and put it on a cookie sheet and pop it in the oven to continue cooking. I like this method b/c you get a good crisp on the chicken but avoid frying the whole thing in oil. Continue cooking at 400 degree oven for 10 minutes.

DSCF0213

In the meantime, lets make a sauce! You can use whatever cheese or mustard you have on hand. I used dijion mustard and added siracha to make it spicy. And I used goat cheese for the cheesey party b/c that’s what I had!

Get a good roux going: melt the tablespoon of butter in a pot.

DSCF0204

Once its melted add in your flour (I used tapioca flour since I’m GF).

DSCF0205

Cook that together till it forms a paste. Add in your milk (I used almond milk) and thicken. At this point, add in your mustard, siracha (if desired), and cheese. Cook until a sauce forms, stirring frequently.

DSCF0212

Take your chicken out of the oven and pour on the sauce!

DSCF0214

And in a baked potato and some veggies and you’ve got a meal! So what was the verdict? The light sear from cooking the chicken in oil then baking it gave it a nice crisp without the heaviness of frying. The sauce was good, but I almost felt like you didn’t even need it! I make a spicy mayo with is just mayo and sirracha that would have done just as well in this situation.

Enjoy!

PS. I warned you about the pics. I’m sorry. Can we still be friends?

36848A3D175C749EE873DC66D928B55C
WCW3

No comments:

Post a Comment