Pages

Wednesday, December 19, 2012

What's Cooking Wednesday | Three-Bean Chili


This week's recipe is super delicious, super easy, and super adaptable to your preferences.  I made ours vegetarian, as we have made it a goal to have at least two meatless meals per week, but you could easily make it carnivore-friendly by throwing in a pound of ground beef or turkey. 

What You Need:
  • 1 1/2 cups beef or vegetable broth (I used beef bouillon, prepared)
  • 1/2 cup dried minced onion
  • 1 tbsp chili powder
  • 1 tbsp ground cumin
  • 1 tbsp garlic powder
  • 1 tsp ground cinnamon
  • 2 cans chili-ready diced tomatoes, with juices
  • 2 cans chili beans, with chili sauce
  • 4 cans whatever other beans you have available (I used pinto and red kidney beans), drained
  • 1 can corn, with liquid
  • 1 can Rotel-style chilis and tomatoes, with liquid
 
What To Do:

Grab your crock pot.  Throw in a slow cooker liner, if you so desire.  I always line mine with these bad boys:

 

I highly, highly recommend them.  No, Reynolds did not pay me to say that.  Yes, I wish they would.

Open all of your cans.  Drain the beans (but do not drain the chili beans, tomatoes, corn or Rotel).


Collect your spices.


Dump everything into your crock pot.

I told you this was easy!  ;-)


Give it a stir.


Put the lid on and cook for 4-6 hours on high, or 6-8 hours on low.  That's it!

We garnished ours with some cheese and sour cream, and it was delicious!  The spice wasn't as hot as I would have normally made it for just S and me, but we like our foods super spicy, and wanted E to be able to eat this also.  (For the record, she loved it!)  However, you can definitely make it more or less spicy to suit your preferences.

Enjoy!  :-)


No comments:

Post a Comment